Sunday, January 9, 2011

More Running in the Snow. And a Race.

After putzing around the house for most of the morning I headed out for some hill repeats followed by a few trail miles. The hill repeats turned into just a hill repeat -- I'd forgotten what a monster this hill was. Hadn't been on it for repeats in probably 6 or 7 years. When I first started running my roommate at the time would drag me to the bottom of the hill and make me run up it five times. It was terrible. I hated every second of it. But, it got me in decent shape fast.

I've been pretty lumpy since the New York Marathon and am now getting back into training mode so to the hill it was. I lasted through two repeats. My legs felt great, my heart rate felt fine (what do I know, though, I don't use a monitor) but my lungs felt like they were turning to ice. It sort of hurt and I gave up after two before ducking into the trails for a few miles.

I wasn't expecting to see snow! Apparently Philly got a few inches on Friday or Saturday. I was away so I missed it actually falling and by the time I got back to the city the streets and sidewalks were clear so I didn't realize it had snowed.

Snow? Yay!

Snow makes me smile.

I had fun slipping up the uphills, sliding down the downhills and crunching along the flats. One tiny drainage stream that is usually nothing more than a glorified puddle actually had a little something to it so I found myself completing the last two miles with sopping wet, chilly feet. I am not sold on Goretex trail runners so I guess this is what I get.

Supposedly more snow is coming mid-week. I think I might suck it up and head to REI tomorrow night for snowshoes and/or cross-country skis.

Also, I just registered for my first race of the year, a 7.2 mile slog through the trails of Reading, Pa. I've never done this specific race before but the race company usually puts on runs that are challenging, silly and fun. I am glad to have something officially on the calendar. Actually, I think this run will be the earliest in the year I have ever raced. I am not remotely in race shape but hopefully this will help me start to get there.

3 comments:

Mallory said...

That race sounds like it will be pretty cool. I'm sure you'll do great. I have truly tried to like snow, but, I've decided that I really just don't like it!

Abby said...

I hate hill repeats. And I'm sure they would do me a world of good. If you ever want a partner for yours, let me know.

Laurie said...

Abby -- I was on Gypsy Lane in East Falls. Short enough and flat enough to be realistic for repeats but long enough and steep enough to make me sad when doing them.