Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Registered.

Do you ever do something against your better judgement?

I don't. At least not often. I am a planner. I don't take a lot of risks. I like to know what I am in for.

A few months ago Bill and I began discussing the idea of doing a 48-hour adventure race.

"Well, we've been doing a lot of training and riding and running anyway. It would be a shame to let all of that go to waste," was our logic.

"It's far. What do we do when it is 4 a.m. on day two, we are lost in the woods, we haven't slept in two days and we want to kill each other?," were some of our main reasons not to.

Add the fact that we have to carry basically every bit of adventure racing gear that we own, the race is unsupported, it seems like we will have to start out with all of our food and water for the entire race and carry it the whole time (unless we feel like quaffing some creek water) and the longest race I've ever done was 24 hours.

After talking each other into it and out of it a dozen times, after much whining on my part and after Bill picked the race director's brain a bit, I guess we decided to commit -- today I got a text from Bill that simply said this: Registered.

Instantly, I did this:



I sort of want to cry a little bit just thinking about it. Regardless, The Haines Street Hustlers will be at the start line of the Equinox Traverse. Not sure that we will get to the finish line, but there it is.

Also, the race is next week. Ten days away. Worst idea ever? Probably.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

yikes. liam and i are siting here reading this and we are very concerned.

Val said...

Pretty awesome! Fun times!

A Prelude To... said...

The race is next week? Ya...that's a little impromptu for me.

I know you'll recap this experience in the wonderful way you do. I cannot wait to hear about this one!

Mallory said...

Awesome!!!! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

haha! The funniest thing is, I am 98% sure that you are going to like it so much after all... I'll wait and see! ;-)

Larry Palazzolo said...

Laurie, you'll be fine. I have the utmost confidence in you. And just like Corey Hart, you can Never Surrender.